17 January 2010

1-17-2010

Did you know response-


I was amazed at some of the facts that popped up on the screen. Many of them I did not know. For instance, India has more honors children than how many kids are in the United States total. How is that possible? Are the we not pushing our students to try harder? What else is there that we can do?

Not only did the India fact blow me out of the water, but so did the text message fact too. Here it is... “More text messages are sent and received everyday, exceeds the total population of the planet.” All I have to say to that is “WOW!” That is amazing in itself. I know I send quiet a few text messages everyday but to for everyone in the world to text is over the whole population. We are defiantly advancing faster than I think we should. Our technology doubles every two years. Soon enough there will be no time to fiddle with the technology that came out a year ago before something else fascinating come out.


Mr. Winkle wakes response-

I thought this video was a bit slow and I lost interest a few times. However, during the film I did realize the while the outside world is changing and growing schools will always be around to teach our children. Technology will not be a constant use in the classroom. There are going to be times when there is just going to be pen and paper.

I am curious as to why Mr. Needleman chose to create a story using Rip Van Winkle. Would it be because the majority of children know the story and can in some way relate back to it, whether it be because of the unused technology or the school environment?


The importance of creativity-

I absolutely enjoyed this video. I enjoyed it so much that I posted it on my Facebook page so that all my friends could watch it. Sir Ken Robinson is so funny, yet can still make you think. He is able to take serious situations and turn them into something that is entertaining. I did have to agree with quiet a few things he said.

“Education take us to a place that we can not grasp yet,” which is very true. No matter what there will always be a struggle with mathematics, science, literature or any subject. I agree that creativity and education should be treated the same. If we choose one to be higher than the other them we are slowly getting rid the lesser one. Creativity is part of the education process.


Harness your students' digital smarts-

This video did not reach out and grab my attention or anything but it was a little useful. The teacher does not always need to know what he/she is teaching. There will be times when the students can shed some light on the topic and at the same time the teacher can also learn something new. Teachers can also try to use every type of technology that at there grasp. I realize that it will not always be new and up to date but at least there is some technology to help the students get involved.

I'm not a real big fan of the blogging, but in this video I have begun to realize how useful it is to get involved and try to get others to blog too. Blogging helps connect people from all around the world. It's a great way to meet new people, expand your knowledge, and travel the world.

4 comments:

  1. It is wise to be cautious about statistics. The China and India numbers are large because their populations are so much larger than the United States. Right now 22.3% of the population of China would have to be English speaking to equal the number of people living in the United States. Because the number of people in China is growing much faster than the number of people in the United States, that percentage is dropping and by 2016 the prediction made will most likely be true.

    Also consider the statement that "India has more honors kids than America has kids total." First, honor student is defined (implicitly) as the top 25% of the students. Since India has more than 4 times as many students as America, the statement that the number of honor students in India is greater than all of the students in the United States is self-fufilling.

    And text messages. In the last hour 685 million SMS messages were sent. In ONE HOUR!

    You lost interest in less than 2 and a half minutes? Wow! I knew students had short attention spans. But < 2 1/2 minutes! No wonder sound bites are so important in political campaigns.

    It appears that you are attracted to funny material. Maybe I should get Conan O'Brien to teach the class. He appears to need a job. But I doubt USA would pay enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is okay to not embrace all tech tools (including blogging). Honestly, I do believe that you can be a wonderful, creative teacher without any technology tools. I do believe it is easier to tap into creativity and critical thinking with them than without though, and most of the students seem to enjoy using the tech more.

    I will enjoy reading your blog this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading all your blogs they are funny! I feel you make very good points in the Vision Of Students Today blog I'm with you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Needleman dd not write the story. It's a joke that has existed in educational circles for years.

    ReplyDelete