12 February 2010

2-14-2010

Wikipedia Scanner -

There is a possibility of Wikipedia being a reliable source in the future. Virgil Griffith created the Wikipedia Scanner to find who was editing the information already on the wikipages. Some of the bigger companies, such as, Diebold, Wal-Mart, and polical campaigns login and make positive changes to their pages and deleted anything that could harm them. However, by using the Wikipedia Scanner, many students doing research for school among other things can now view who editing the information to find out if Wikipedia can be used as a source.

“What I have learned this year” by Mr. McClung -

This post really makes me realize that all the things that I want to go a certain way will most likely not happen. I need to learn to mold myself to my students and learn from them as well as my students learning from me. Mr. McClung learned to change things around and work with what he had. He is pointed out things that should be obvious, however, are not until you hit to teaching world.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on the Mr. McClung post, I need to learn to mold myself to. I always like to things to go smoothly and have a plan, and that most likely will not happen a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Wikipedia all the time. I am just cautious with living persons/entities/corporations. Generally, Wikipedia is an excellent, quick resource. You just have to keep your eyes open and your brain on. EVERYONE has a slant they are trying to sell you. Even me. So question everything!

    Mr. McClung is a great friend. We will probably have a Skype session with him this semester to see how Year 2 is continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hardest part about the transition from student to teacher is the role you play in a classroom. You have spent years passively receiving information and now you have to find ways to change that so students can learn actively. Of course you will have a difficult time, but the students are worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im still in the habit of using wikipedia to write papers. Hopefully it will become more reliable and accuarate.

    ReplyDelete